Discovering remaining Sikh Gurdwara in Pakistan is a feat equal to finding Rosetta stone – but I manage somehow by bribing and cajoling authorities to see all of them.
Difficult to see all Gurdwara in Pakistan
It is hard because the old Gurdwara is dead center of bustling bazaars and narrow lanes, with suspicious neighbors more interested in finding out my background rather than telling me how to get in.
Then, these Sikh holy Gurdwara do not allow just about anyone to go in – that is not how Sikhism was supposed to be by the way.
However, once I do manage to get in, the architecture, people, generosity, and stories I hear inside are like nothing in mainstream Pakistani cities.
How many Gurdwara are there in Pakistan?
I would estimate that 190 Gurdwara are left in Pakistan now, but are fast fading as there are no devotees left to maintain the sites.
Which is the biggest Gurdwara in Pakistan?
Kirtarpur Sahib Gurdwara, right at the border of Indi and Pakistan is probably the largest, area wise among all Gurdwara in Pakistan.
Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara near Pakistan Border
The Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara, in Narowal District, is the the largest Sikh Temple in all of Pakistan, area wise.
How many Sikh are there in Pakistan?
A 2010 survey of NADRA owned by the Government of Pakistan shows 6146 Sikhs registered in Pakistan, whereas, US Department of State estimates the number to be 20,000.
List of Gurdwara in Pakistan
This is the list of 130 Gurdwara that I do know exist in Pakistan and have not been destroyed yet.
1.Gurdwara Janam Asthan, Nankana Sahib
Nankana Sahib Gurdwara is where the revered Baba Guru Nanak was born. It is vast, well maintained, and renovated.
The best thing is that they allow non-Muslims to wander across the courtyard like pesky tourists.
2. Gurdwara Panja Sahib, Hassan Abdal
Panja Sahib Gurdwara Hasanabdal has the sacred hand-print of Baba Guru Nanak.
Guru Nanak personally stopped a huge boulder rolling down from a mountain from destroying sacred property.
The sacred stream of Sikhism still flows underneath, with lovely fish swimming inside.
3. Gurdwara Balila, Nankana Sahib
This is the site of Baba Guru Nanak’s childhood home in Nankana Sahib City of Nankana Sahib District of Pakistan. Naturally, there are several Gurdwara in Nankana Sahib city.
4. Gurdwara Patti Sahib, Nankana Sahib
“Patti” is the wooden board that Guru Nanak used for his early academic education here.
5. Gurdwara Kiara Sahib
This is where Baba Guru Nanak performed the miracle of regrown standing crops that his cattle had destroyed.
6. Gurdwara Maal Ji Sahib
Built by Dewan Kora Mal, this is the site where Baba Guru Nanak as a child was shaded by a Mal tree that traveled with the Sun’s movement.
7. Gurdwara Tamboo Sahib, Nankana Sahib
It is here that Guru Nanak’s giving ways were revealed to the world when he gave away Rs 20 of his own to needy people – called the “Sacha Sauda” (real transaction)
8. Gurdwara Nihang Singhan, Nankana Sahib
This Gurdwara was built by the Nihang “immortal” armed Sikh faction of Sikhism.
9. Gurdwara Panjvin Chhevin Patshahi, Nanakana Sahib
This Gurdwara is where the fifth and Sixth Guru Hargobind and Arjun Dev passed by in the 15th century. Both Shrines are inside the Gurdwara.
10. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Nankana Sahib
Guru Hargobind’s own Gurdwara is located here.
11. Gurdwara Ram Thaman ji, Kalu Khara, Kasur
Baba Ram Thaman Ji was a maternal cousin of Baba Guru Nanak and a respected sadhu himself, whom Guru Nanak visited frequently.
12. Gurdwara Bhai Bahlol Qadiwind, Kasur
This is where Sat Gur visited and build a Gurdwara on the land donated by Bhai Bahlol
13. Gurdwara Bhai Pheru, old Anarkali Market, Kasur
This Gurdwara was built by Hindu overseers of Sikh affairs, called the Mahant, during the persecution days of Sikhism by British colonials.
14. Gurdwara Hardosahari Kasur
This is the site where a local influential Muslim Jat ruler converted to Sikhism on the urging of Guru Amar Das Ji
15. Gurdwara Holan Sahib, Bharnawan, Kasur
The Gurdwara built at this site where a local Muslim by the name of Sultan presented green chickpeas to Guru Nanak has since collapsed, but the holy significance of the act remains.
16. Gurdwara Jhari Sahib Tergay, Kasur
17. Gurdwara Malji Sahib, Kanganpur, Kasur
18. Gurdwara Manji Sahib at Manakdeke, Kasur
19. Gurdwara Panjvin Patshahi, Hanjrai, Kasur
20. Gurdwara Panjvin Patshahi, Shaikhrumi, Kasur
21. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Alpa, Kasur
22. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, bheelgran, Kasur
23. Gurdwara Tham Sahib, Jamber, Kasur
24. Gurdwara Bairi Sahib, Chevin Patshahi, Kharak Lahore
Sat Guru Hargobind tied his horse reigns to a Bair tree here in the Burki Village of Lahore.
25. Gurdwara Baoli Sahib Guru Arjun, Laha Bazar, Lahore
Guru Arjan Dev commissioned a Baoli of sacred water here, with the money collected from resolving a business disputed between a Hindu and Pathan Muslim business transactions. This was to show the proper to his followers to dispose of disputes.
26. Gurdwara Buddhu Da Awa
Guru Arjun Dev settled a business transaction between two Sikhs where Bhai Buddhu gave unprepared bricks from his kiln to another respected Sikh. The grateful businessperson built a Gurdwara in honor of Guru Arjun here, which is sited near Sikh college on Shalimar Road.
27. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Amar Saddu, Lahore
Also called Gurdwara Bibi Kaulan, this Gurdwara has the Shrine of Guru Hargobind close by.
28. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Dhilwan, Burki, Lahore
This Gurdwara was built to honor Guru Hargobind at a place where he used to preach on a Manji (bench)
29. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Guru Mangat, Lahore
30. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Hadiara, Lahore
32. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Padhana, Lahore
33. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Rampur Kalan, Lahore
34. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Rampur Khurd, Lahore
35. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Jhalian, Lahore
36. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Minhala, Lahore
37. Gurdwara Chota Nanakiana at Manga, Lahore
38. Gurdwara Chow Bachcha Sahib, Dharampura, Lahore
39. Gurdwara Chowmala Sahib, Bhatti Gate, Lahore
40. Gurdwara Dera Sahib, Panjvin, Patshahi, Lahore
This Gurdwara is adjacent to the Lahore Fort and Badshahi Masjid
41. Gurdwara Dharamshala Sri Guru Ram Dasji
42. Gurdwara Dewan Khan at Chuna Mandi, Lahore
43. Gurdwara Janamasthan Bebe Nanaki, Dera Chahal, Lahore
44. Gurdwara Janamasthan Guru Ram Das Ji, Chuna Mandi, Lahore,
45. Gurdwara Lahura Sahib, Ghawindi, Lahore
46. Gurdwara Lal Khoi Mochi Gate, Lahore
47. Gurdwara Nanak Garh, Badami Bagh, Lahore
48. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Mozang, Lahore
49.Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Bhati Gate, Lahore
50. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Manak, Lahore
51. Gurdwara Prakash Asthan, Sri Guru Ram Das Ji, Chuna Mandi
52.Gurdwara Rori Sahib, Jahman, Lahore
53. Gurdwara Shaheed Ganj, Sighnian, Lahore
54. Gurdwara Shikargarh Sahib, Kacha, Lahore
55. Gurdwara Sri Nanak Garh, Chhoti Ravi, Badami Bagh, Lahore
56. Gurdwara Tahli Sahib Baba Sir Chand Ji, Railway Station, Lahore
57. Gurdwara Khui Bhai Lalu Ji, Tatlay Aali, Gujranwala
This is where Guru Nanak ji created the legend of Malik Bhago and Carpenter Bahi Lalo for his disciples. Guru Ji refused the buttered bread of the tyrant Malik Bhago and chose the simple bread of Bhai Lalo because it was pure.
58. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Kotli Bhaga, Eminabad
A Gurdwara honoring Guru Hargobind is built here with a pipal tree, manji, and Tara sahib still intact.
59. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Rasul Sharif (Rasul Nagar), Wazirabad, Gujranwala.
This Gurdwara is built on the left bank of the Chenab River to honor the visit of Guru Hargobind Sahib. This Gurdwara has Guru Granth sahib written on its walls.
60. Gurdwara Damdama Sahib, Railway Station, Gujranwala
Baba Sahib Ji Bedi was a dedicated preacher of the Sikh religion and Dambama was his litany style of preaching.
61. Gurdwara Guru Kotha, Wazirabad, Gujranwala
Gurdwara Kotha Sahib is dedicated to the visit of Guri Har Gobind Ji on his return from Kashmir. This beautiful Gurdwara is about to be run over by illegal encroachments.
- Also, see Sikh Gurdwara, Rawalakot, Azad Kashmir
62. Gurdwara Khara Sahib, Bhaike Mattu, Noshehravirkan, Gujranwala
63. Gurdwara Khuhi Bhai Lalo ji, Eminabad
64. Gurdwara Panjvin Patshahi, Chak Ram Das, Gujranwala
65. Gurdwara Rory Sahib, Eminabad
66. Gurdwara Baoli Sahib Sialkot
Gurdwara Baoli Sahib is where the legend of the death of Maula Karar occurred because he refused to meet Guru Hargobind. The Baoli is long gone.
67. Gurdwara Bair Sahib, Sialkot
This is the site where the legend of the spell placed by Muslim Saint Hamza Ghaus was dispelled by Baba Guru Nanak, because of his wisdom. Baba Guru Nanak convinced the saint to spare the city of Sialkot because “life is bitter’, and “death is certain.” The bair tree where this discussion occurred is long gone.
68 Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Glutian Khurd, Sialkot
This beautiful Gurdwara is in private use now, but once had exquisite marble work on it. It lies on Sialkot-Gujranwala main road.
69. Gurdwara Gurusar, Rehsma, Salehpur, Sialkot
This is the site where Guru Hargobind threw a lance and a sweet water spring sprout out.
70. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi Fathe bindar, Sialkot
Jagat Guru came here to visit the constructed Gurdwara in honor of Guru Nanak sahib Ji
71. Gurdwara Tahli Sahib, Rehsema, Salehpur, Sialkot
Guru Hargobind passed by here and tied his horse to a Tahli (branch) of the Sheesham Tree. His relics were also placed at this Gurdwara once, but not anymore.
72. Gurdwara Bhai Maani Singh Rawalpindi
Currently being used as a school in Sarafa Bazar Rawalpindi
73. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Damhial, Rawalpindi
This Gurdwara contained the relics of Guru Gobind Ji and is at quite a distance from Rawalpindi’s main city.
74. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Narali, Rawalpindi
75. Gurdwara Narankari Bazar, Rawalpindi
76. Gurdwara Singh Sabha, Raja Bazar, Rawalpindi
77. Sikh Gurdwara Kallar Syedan
Dukh Panjini Sikh Gurdwaras in Kallar Sayedan, Potohar has a massive story to tell. You’d have to read this yourself.
77. Gurdwara Dharamshala Bhai Harnam Singh Ji at Bucceki, Sheikhupura
Guru Arjun Dev Ji stayed here at the place of Bhai Harnam Singh Ji, a devotee, but the Gurdwara is barely recognizable.
78. Gurdwara Ajnianwala, Sheikhupura
Anjianwala is the place of a separate Sikh sect called Surjan Dasia and the Granth compiled by them is called Ajit Granth.
79. Gurdwara Panvin Patshahi, Jatri, Sheikupura
80. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Hafmadar, Sheikhupura
81. Gurdwara bhuman Shah, Dibalpur Okara
This Gurdwara pays respects to Bhai Bhuman Shah whose langar would never disappoint the needy.
82. Gurdwara Chota Nanakiana, Dibalpur, Okara
83. Gurdwara Chota Nanakiana, Hujra Shah Muqeem, Okara
84. Gurdwara Bhai Hima ji, Magghiana, Jhang
85. Gurdwara Fateh Shah Jhang
86. Gurdwara Nanaksar Jhang
87. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Bacche, Hafizabad.
88. Gurdwara Nanaksar, Harappa, Sahiwal
89. Gurdwara Chowa Sahib Rohtas Jhelum
This beautiful Gurdwara is right outside Rohtas fort in Jehlum and is being renovated for the visiting Sikh devotees. Guru Nanak Sahib is said to have visited this sacred site.
- Also, see Tilla Jogian Gurdwara, Jhelum
- Also, see Tilla Jogian Gurdwara, Jhelum
90. Gurdwara Janamasthan Mata Sahib Kaur Ji, Rothtas
This gurdwara is a better shape as it is located inside the Rohtas fort wall and the fort is under the protection of two government departments.
91. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Balgondai, Jehlum
92. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Katas, Chakwal
This Gurdwara is in the middle of the ancient Hindu holy site of Katas Raj and has recently been cleanup for devotees.
93. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Chawli Masaekh, Burewala, Vehari
94. Gurdwara Thara Sahib, Sakhi Sarwar, DG Khan
95. Gurdwara Thara Sahib, Shah Shams Road, Multan
96. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Gujrat city
This is the only Gurdwara dedicated to Guru Hargobind Ji that survives in Gujrat city. The remaining four are long decimated.
97. Gurdwara Kot Bhai Than Singh, Fateh Khan, Attock
This Gurdwara is stil preserved in a better condition, but requires renovation
The only Gurdwara inside Attock Khurd has been leveled by the private owner of the property. I have not seen any other Gurdwara in Attock.
98. Gurdwara Shaheed Bhai Dalip Singh, Chak Jhumra, Faisalabad
99. Gurdwara Thara Sahib, Uch, Bahawalpur
100. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Makhdoom Pur, Pahuran, Khanewal
101. Gurdwara Amir Shah Singh Jhanda Ram Street, DI Khan
102. Gurdwara Dharamshala Guru Nanak Devji, DI Khan
Guru Nanak Ji stayed here during his fourth udasi travel and the place is now a government school.
103. Gurdwara Kali Devi, Topan wala, DI Khan
At this site, Guru Nanak’s miracle of toppling the Kali Devi moorti occurred. Although it is a Gurdwara, and Guru Nanak did not encourage deities, people called it Kali Murti Gurdwara out of tradition.
104. Gurdwara Jogi wara, Shernath, Bannu, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
105. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Mansehra,
106. Gurdwara Siri Dayal Sar Topi, Mansehra
107. Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi, Chitti Gatti, Hazara
108. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Balakot, Hazara
109. Gurdwara Bhai Joga Singh Peshawar, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
Joga Sahib was a local disciple of Guru Gobind who he took along during his travels. The legend says that Joga Sahib was saved from hellfire because of his loyalty to his guru when despite provocation by a beautiful sex worker, he could not manage to visit her. Gurdwara joga Sahib is in the Namakmandi locality.
110. Gurdwara Gurhatri, Peshawar City
Although there is not any intact Gurdwara in Gurhattri Peshawar, the legend of Guru Hattri (Guru’s shop) is so interesting, I had to include this place too.
The legend is that Guru Nanak during his fifth travels, visited the shop of Abdul Rahman to exchange his old shoes with a new pair. The shopkeeper kept the old shoes for generations, and a devotee built a Sikh religious site here. There is little left of the Gurdwara.
- Also, see Things to see in Peshawar
111. Samadhi Akali Phula Singh, Nowshehra
This Samadhi is located across a river and can only be reached by boat. It is a few kilometers away from GT road in Nowshehra.
112. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Shikarpur, Sindh
This modern-looking Gurdwara still has the original banyan tree of Sat Guru Nanak Sahib’s travel here.
113. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Jind Pir, Sukkur
Guru Nanak Ji is said to have visited this site and the Hindu Temple complex in Sadhu Bela from here.
114. Gurdwara Sadhu Bela, Sukkur
Guru Nanak Ji traveled to this island in the center of the Indus River to preach Sikhism and the right path to Hindu Sadhus there.
115. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Clifton, Karachi
116. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Justice Kyani Road, Karachi
117. Gurdwara Pehli patshahi, Bulani, Larkana, Sindh
118. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Mirpurkhas, Sindh
119. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi Tilganji Sahib, Masjid Road, Quetta, Baluchistan
Tilganji sahib gets its name from the “til” (Sesame seeds) that Baba Guru Nanak gave them in the offering of his visit in the third travels’
120. Gurdwara Pehli Patshahi, Kalat, Baluchistan
I have never heard of a Gurdwara in Kalat, but if it were there, it would be a miracle Baba Guru Nanak reached there across the vast expanse of emptiness without tons of water.
121. Gurdwara Chota Nanakiana Skardu, Gilgit Baltistan
There were Hindu and Sikh soldiers at Skardu Kharpocho Fort right up to 1948, but I did not see any Gurdwara. Maybe I must ask around more this time.
This is all I could do with the resources I had.
The Sikh World Diaspora must help maintain the Sikh Heritage and Religious Sites inside Pakistan, assisting Government of Pakistan in the process. If Pakistani Sikh do not maintain their sites, who else would?